All month long, CAL FIRE joined fire and police departments across the nation by participating in the 2014 national “Cares Enough to Wear Pink" as part of October’s National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
2014 CAL FIRE Cares Enough to Wear Pink
9 hours ago
The United States sees an overall increase in fires on Halloween caused by open flames, and the arson fire rate is 10 percent higher than on any other day with 15,500 fires and $92 million in property loss per year.
To ensure a safe and happy Halloween, CAL FIRE Local 2881 offers the following tips:
• Use battery-operated lights, not candles, to decorate walkways. Always keep candles, matches and lighters in a place that children cannot reach. This will make it much safer for trick-or-treaters and decrease the chance of an open flame fire.
• Keep children, costumes and decorations away from open flames and heat sources. Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable.
• Check lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires or loose connections. Do not overload extension cords. Indoor and outdoor decorative lights can be fire hazards.
• Choose costumes that are comfortable, easy to walk in and see out of.
• Pick brightly colored costumes that can be clearly seen by motorists. Add reflective tape to the costume to increase visibility.
13 hours ago
Halloween is a fun and exciting time of year, but it is also an important time to practice fire and personal safety. The occurrence of fire increases around Halloween due to the use of candles as decorations. According to the National Fire Protection Association, Halloween decorations are the cause of over 1,000 home fires each year. CAL FIRE would like to remind parents and trick or treaters to practice a few simple safety precautions.
State of California
Planning ahead can help make this Halloween a fire-safe one.
Take simple fire safety precautions, like making sure fabrics for costumes and decorative materials are flame-resistant. Read all of NFPA's Halloween safety tips and download our free safety tip sheet.
Safety Tips for Motorists on Halloween. All motorists need to be especially alert and cautious when driving on Halloween because of
the high number of pedestrians walking the streets.
• Watch for children darting out from between parked cars.
• Watch for children walking on roadways, medians and curbs.
• Enter and exit driveways and alleys carefully.
• At twilight and later in the evening, watch for children in dark clothing.
• Never use your cell phone while driving.
• Discourage teens from driving on Halloween. There are too many hazards and distractions for inexperienced drivers.
October 27, 2014 - The Fire Situation Report
On Tuesday, October 21, 2014, we gathered to honor Geoffrey "Craig" Hunt, Pilot of Tanker 81. Craig tragically lost his life while battling the Dog Rock Fire in Yosemite on October 7, 2014. Thank you for your selfless service, Craig.
Memorial Service for Geoffrey "Craig" Hunt, Tanker 81 Pilot.
We had a fantastic weekend full of Fill the Boots!!!
Cal Fire NEU- raised over $4,300 bringing their total for 2014 to $31,000
Ripon Fire- raised over $4,600
Lodi Fire- raised over $10,300
Thank you to our firefighters and volunteers for their hard work and support!
MDA of Greater Sacramento and Northern Nevada
Today's MDA Boot Drive brought in $4,328.28 in donations! Thank you Steve West and Placer County for helping to Fill The Boot for MDA! And Thanks to Kym Hoffman for supporting our efforts.
This concludes NEU's Boot Drive Season. Final Grand Totals will be out soon.
Cal Fire Firefighters NYP Chapter
Right now, Cal Fire is in a tight competition to lead California to the top spot for Muscular Dystrophy fundraising.
This is a cool photo of the band headed up to start the Hunt service on Tuesday.
This Friday, October 24th! The City of Lincoln Firefighters, in collaboration with Cal Fire Firefighters NYP Chapter, will be FILLING THE BOOT at Joiner Parkway and Ferrari Ranch Rd.in Lincoln!
AM: 7am to 9am
PM: 3pm - 7pm
Stop on by, join us and say THANK YOU to these heroes who are raising money for local MDA families!!!
Please share this post and encourage your friends and family in the Lincoln area to drive through and support the event!
A landmark UCLA study makes a persuasive argument for the routine clinical use of DNA sequencing as a tool for diagnosing children with rare genetic disorders.
CPF Firevision – 2014 California Firefighters Memorial
Remembering California’s Fallen – Fifteen fallen firefighters from across California were honored in a moving ceremony on the grounds of the State Capitol.
#TBT to 1984:
Ray Snodgrass administers Oath of Office to: Ret. Rep. Bob Ford, Treas. Mike Witesman, R/F Rep. Paul Graham, Sup. Rep. Hector Reed, V.P. Rob Bywater, Pres. Dan Nichols.
The bell detail from a 9-11 service via Honor Guard member Evan Elite. Then two screen shots from yesterday's service.
CDF Firefighters Honor Guard - Support
CAL FIRE Engine 3388 from Mount Woodson Station 86 in Ramona at the 2014 Mira Mar Air show.
People, dressed up like zombies, ran and walked their way through Pebble Beach for the first Pebble Beach Zombie Run. At the end of the 5K run and the 2K walk, participants were welcomed by a fair on how to best prepare for a natural disaster.
Zombies invade Pebble Beach for walk-run
Active and Retired Firefighters: Purchase your California Firefighter license plate today! http://www.cafirefoundation.org/go/cff/about-ca-fire-foundation/firefighter-license-plates/
Members of CAL FIRE Local 2881 executive board attended the Firefighter Cancer Support Network gala dinner in Long Beach. Thank you to the CDF Firefighters foundation for sponsoring us to attend. The network raises thousands of dollars to support the Firefighters with cancer.